Prophecy. You can read the material here, or download a PDF.
This is one of my College assignment that I did at the Nehemia Bible College in Jeffreys Bay, during 2001.
I trust this will bless you.
1 Cor. 14:1 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy.
Here we are told to eagerly desire the gift of prophecy. Then why don’t we?
1 Cor. 14:39 (Amplified) “So (to conclude) my brethren, earnestly desire and set your hearts on prophesying — on being inspired to preach and to teach and to interpret Gods will and purpose — and do not forbid or hinder speaking in (unknown) tongues.”
We need to remember that the Holy Spirit always gives according to his will.
1 Cor. 12: 11 Prophecy is one of 9 Gifts of the Holy Spirit and He will give the correct gift at the correct time.
Never be forced into giving a prophetic word if you don’t have one, because it comes from the flesh. People come to you and ask if you don’t have a word for them. If you don’t, be honest.
1 Cor. 14: 3,4,22,24,25,29-32,39.
The Prophetic Word:
1) Confirms something that is already in your heart.
2) Decide if the word is for you before doing anything.
3) It Convinces 1 Cor. 14:24-25.
God is busy restoring the 5-fold ministry! Eph 4:11-12.
The APOSTOLIC ministry as FATHERHOOD
The PROPHETIC ministry as BUILD UP, COMFORT, ENCOURAGE
The EVANGELISTIC ministry as WINNING SOULS FOR THE KINGDOM OF GOD
The SHEPARD ministry as CARING FOR THE NEEDS OF GOD’S CHURCH
The PASTOR ministry as TEACHING.
THE PROPHET SCHOOLS:
Throughout the Old Testament we read about prophet schools.
1 Sam 10:5-6; 2 Kings 2:3-5 (Bethel); 2 Kings 4:38 (Gilgal); 2 Kings 5:22 (Ephraim); 2 Kings 6:1-7; 2 Kings 9:1
It is clearly shown here that those who the prophetic word, worked through, worked more effectively for God’s work. Eph 4:11-12
Prophets were always very important to God.
So we read:
1) Obadiah took 100 prophets and hid them in 2 caves, so that Jezebel could not have them killed.
2) Jehoshaphat stood and said “listen to me, Judah and people of Jerusalem have faith in the Lord your God and you will be upheld, have faith in His prophets and you will be successful.”
3) What was their task for Israel in Hosea 12:13?
What is the difference between a seer and a prophet?
1 Sam 9:9 In Israel if a man went to inquire of God, he would say, “come, let us go to the seer” because the prophet of today used to be called a seer.
2 Sam 15:27; 2 Sam 24:11; 1 Chron 29:29; 2 Chron 16:7; 2 Chron 19:2; 2 Chron 35:15
Let us take a look at what happened while they were prophesying:
1) Num 1:25-26 When the spirit rested on them, they prophesied
2) 1 Sam 10:5-6 The spirit of the Lord will come down upon you in power, and you will prophesy with them, and you will be changed into a different person.
3) 1 Sam 19:20-24
PROPHECY IN THE BOOK OF ACTS:
Acts 9:5-6 God gave Saul a command and He expected Saul to be obedient and to trust Him. He did not give all the details, but when God leads you, He will direct you.
Acts 9:10-19 What would have happened if Ananias did not go immediately?
Go bake that cake!
Get up and phone that person!
Go now and give that money to!
Go and pray!
Acts 10:19-20 Peter first has a vision. Then God gave a prophetic word in a command.
Acts 13:1-4 The Holy Spirit spoke here. Short and sweet. Never add on or make the prophecy longer. Keep to what God says.
Acts 21:8-13 Agabus was lead to do a prophetic move.
A person hearing from God should make sure that he understands Hab 2: 1-3 well.
1) Verse 1, don’t be passive if you want to hear from God
2) Verse 2, write it down clearly so that, who reads it may run with it and be inspired
3) Remember the appointed time
4) If it is from God, you will desire to release it
GOOD ADVICE: Remind God of your prophecy and call it into being in faith and do your apart also.
People who want to be used prophetically by God, take note of the following:
1) A prophet must only speak when lead by the Spirit. 2 Pet 1:19-21 and
2 Sam 23:2
2) A prophet must get understanding from God about dreams and visions Dan 1:17
3) A prophet must fear God 2 Chron 26:5
4) A prophet must have the ability to brake up the word and understand it in 1 Pet 1:10-11
5) Prophecy should always exalt God. Rev 19:10 The Living Bible “The purpose of all prophecy and all I have shown you is to tell about Jesus” Read about Peter’s teaching in Acts 10:43; Jer 31:34; Micah 7:18
6) Always be very specific, even thou you don’t understand. 2 Kings 5:10 # I received a prophetic word before the service. I was told to ask who wants to prophecy and who wants a healing ministry? When I gave the word in obedience the results were amazing.
7) A prophet is a watchman. Ezek 3:16-21
8) The main reason for prophesying is found in 1 Cor 14:3; Acts 15:30-32
9) Why a prophetic word? Ex 3 God first has to get Moses attention before He could talk to him. Dan 5 God wrote on a wall; Acts 9:10-12 God spoke to Ananias through a vision. Num 12:5-16; Is 1:1; Dan 8:1; Amos 1:1.
How prophesy should work in Church:
1 Cor 14:29-30 The word should be tested by other prophets
Mirriam Ex 15:20 She was already 92 years old!
Deborah Jud 4:45; Jud 5:7
Huldah 2 Kings 22:14; 2 Kings 23
Anna Luke 2:36-37
Philip had 4 unmarried daughters Acts 21:9
Act of prophecy and Conclusion:
There are many examples in the Bible.
1 Kings 11:29-31 take a look at Ohijah’s attitude towards Jeroboam.
2 Kings 4:1-7 The widower and the oil
2 Kings 5:9-14 Naaman washes himself 7 times in the Jordan.
Do a study on the following verses: Jer 13:1-8; Jer 18; Jer 27; Jer 28; Jer 35:1-9; Ez 4; Ez 5
Thank you Lord that we can pray, speak and sing prophetically. Speak the word! Sing like Mary in Luke 1:47-50 Sing like Deborah in Judges 5
God’s church must learn to prophesy again, see what the word says in:
Amos 3:7 Surely the Sovereign LORD does nothing without revealing his plan to his servants the prophets.